The University's Christian Worldview
The Statement of Faith, Vision and Purpose Statements, Principles, and Core Values of Los Angeles Pacific University provide a solid foundation on which to build positional statements of the institution as a Christian university. These documents evidence a strong Christian commitment and form the core of the increasingly far-reaching nature and scope of the Azusa Pacific community. They give expression to a strong, clear, unswervingly Christian worldview that permeates the university and guides its activity. As its guiding center, the university is able to grow more effectively in the confidence that its Christian nature will flourish. The documents have been part of the growing history and serve as a cohesive core. Each evolves from the other, providing consistency and natural coordination that demonstrates the university’s worldview as thoroughly Christian.
- The Statement of Faith is the central statement of the university in matters of identity and nature. It provides a Christian declaration of the theological underpinnings on which the university is built. It contains a clear description of faith and living as a reflection of the institution’s heritage of integration of right belief and right living.
- The Statements of Vision and Purpose provide the direction and task to which the university applies its resources and effort, with the understanding that the integrative nature of faith cannot be fulfilled apart from a mission of transformation consistent with a Christian commitment.
- The Principles describe the nature of the university in living out core values in the pursuit of its mission.
- The Core Values serve as a strategic guide to focus the efforts needed to fulfill the university’s mission. They reflect the strategic emphases of implementation.
Statement of Faith
We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
We believe that there is one God, creator of heaven and earth, eternally existent in three persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return to power and glory.
We believe in the fall and consequent total moral depravity of humanity, resulting in our exceeding sinfulness and lost estate, and necessitating our regeneration by the Holy Spirit.
We believe in the present and continuing ministry of sanctification by the Holy Spirit by whose infilling the believing Christian is cleansed and empowered for a life of holiness and service.
We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; those who are saved to the resurrection of life and those who are lost to the resurrection of damnation.
We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Daily Living Expectations
The following are fundamentals held to be essential and the university expects faculty and staff not only to believe in them, but to practice them in daily living:
- A caring, effective love both to God and humanity
- A Christ-like unity and acceptance among believers
- A lifestyle dedicated to God’s will in society
- A growing, victorious state of mind because of the indwelling Christ
- A daily affirmation of Christ as Lord
- A willingness to serve the Lord, even when it involves sacrifice
- A desire to be sensitive to the personal work of the Holy Spirit
- A working faith in God’s promises for all needs and daily life situations
- A witness for Christ without hypocrisy
- A firm, committed desire to be God’s person
Statements of Vision and Purpose
Vision: Los Angeles Pacific University (LAPU) exists to serve people around the world who desire education delivered in the context of faith, excellence, and flexibility, removing the barriers to affordability and accessibility.
Purpose: We create for people a new hope for the future, by investing in lives through learning pathways that are Christ-centered, flexible, and accessible.
Core Organizational Principles
We are believers who teach and serve from a Christian worldview.
We are committed to educational excellence and quality certificates for professional skills and continuing education.
We are committed to economic affordability, global delivery, and wherever feasible, open admission.
We are responsive to market demand, employer needs, and professional occupations.
We are economically viable and scalable, valuing the gifts, talents, and resources of the university.
Exemplary—to honor God in our actions, attitudes, and aspirations.
Caring—to serve with grace the needs of our colleagues and students.
Learning—to continually nurture new thinking that generates and contributes to ongoing learning opportunities for all.