Associate of Science in Health Sciences
Program Learning Outcomes (PLO) for Associate of Science Degree
Graduates of the Associate of Science degree program will be able to:
- PLO 1: Apply key elements of a Christian worldview to personal and professional values, ethics, and commitments.
- PLO 2: Articulate contextually informed interpretations of biblical texts through key themes.
- PLO 3: Demonstrate competency in written and oral communication skills.
- PLO 4: Apply critical thinking skills through the development of analytical reasoning.
- PLO 5: Demonstrate competence in quantitative, informational, and visual literacy.
- PLO 6: Explore the role of diverse ethnic, gender, generational, and socioeconomic backgrounds on human behavior.
- PLO 7: Develop fundamental lab skills in the areas of anatomy, physiology, microbiology, and chemistry.
The Los Angeles Pacific University Core comprises the General Education requirements and the LAPU Distinctives. Students are encouraged to complete the Core before beginning their major requirements. General Education requirements may be met by transfer work. The LAPU Distinctives are required for all undergraduate degrees at LAPU.
|General Education Requirements||25|
|COMM 105||Public Communication||3|
|ENGL 105||Introduction to Academic Research and Writing||3|
|ARTS 110||Introduction to Art||3|
|PHIL 210||Introduction to Ethics||3|
|STAT 280||Applied Statistics||3|
|PSYC 105||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|HIST 202||World Civilizations||3|
|or HIST 204||U.S. History from 1865|
|or HIST 420||United States History and the Constitution|
|Physical and Biological Sciences|
|CHEM 115||Chemistry for Health Sciences/Lab||4|
|BIBL 100||Introduction to Biblical Literature: Exodus/Deuteronomy||3|
|BIBL 230||Introduction to Biblical Literature: Luke/Acts||3|
|ISTU 101||Success in the University 1||3|
Must be taken at LAPU.
Requirements for the A. S. in Health Sciences
|Health Sciences (A.S., 26 credits) 1|
|BIOL 230||Anatomy and Physiology I/Lab||4|
|BIOL 240||Anatomy and Physiology II/Lab||4|
|PSYC 295||Human Growth and Development||3|
|Select three of the following:||9|
|Introduction to Health and Disease (3 credits)|
|Nutrition and Wellness (3 credits)|
|U.S. Healthcare Systems (3 credits)|
|College Algebra (3 credits) 2|
24 credits of Health Science courses complete an Associate of Science degree by preparing students in the areas of science education, leadership, and the healthcare industry.
MATH 125 is included for students who need College Algebra for admission to an RN program.
2 credits of electives offer students the opportunity to explore an area of interest beyond the required coursework.